16 July 2008

Ravaloli

This is how my youngest brother pronounced ravioli when he was about four.


And this is how I try to recreate the great Italian food from our childhood.

Growing up in Northern New Jersey, there was no shortage of belly-begging Italian food. Even if it was "fast food" Italian {like the many corner pizza shops}, every bite was still soul-scrumptious.

I've been searching for this same great Italian food in Boston for a while now. I have a few places I think are pretty good, but none that I repeatedly visit frequently. Maybe if I lived in the North End I would be satiated more satisfyingly.

Anyway, dinner tonight was a close creation to that Italian food from home. These ravioli were home-made from Russo's in Watertown so I apologize for not making them myself... but I plan to do so in the fall, when our third floor apt. is MUCH cooler.

The sweet pea was just the right little bit of sweetness with subtle cheese and whole peas in a smaller shaped loli; the cheese loli were full of it and about a third larger than the sweet. Heating fresh thyme with a little ~ okay, a lot ~ of butter and olive oil as sauce and fresh parsley for garnish, this quick dinner option will surely show up on my table again. The sides included sauteed spinach with raisins, toasted walnuts, and hot pepper flakes PLUS pestoed Italian bread broiled with a little parm for a couple minutes which gives a nice contrasting crunch to the meal.

Russo's in Watertown is my favorite chore-adventure. Check it out sometime~!

http://www.russos.com/

No comments: