28 July 2008

avocado goddess

Yes, I am in love.

I am in love with avocados. I think you can believe it. Actually, I know you can.

They're the perfect love to have: dark and mysterious on the outside with a hard and sturdy core, smooth in the space between with color shifting coolly from green to yellow...

They're the soft star with any vegetable cousin and satiate swell with sisters Mango and Papaya. They’re complementing with fish, or on tortilla or baked pita chips, they give their best cut in chunks for salad, with pasta, and guacamole can never be forgotten.

An avocado with a little lemon or lime brightens up it's glow while salt and pepper punch up it's gentle flavor. Olive oil adds another dimension, so don't dare deny tasting this versatile sweet fruit even for dessert.

Ice cream, anyone?

I'm going to try this soon~will let you know how it goes! love, the avocado goddess
Avocado Ice Cream, Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/avocado-ice-cream-recipe/index.html

12 ounces avocado meat, approximately 3 small to medium
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream

Peel and pit the avocados.
Add the avocados, lemon juice, milk, and sugar to a blender and puree.
Transfer the mixture to a medium mixing bowl, add the heavy cream and whisk to combine.
Place the mixture into the refrigerator and chill until it reaches 40 degrees F or below, approximately 4 to 6 hours.

Process the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
However, this mixture sets up very fast, so count on it taking only 5 to 10 minutes to process.

For soft ice cream, serve immediately.
If desired, place in freezer for 3 to 4 hours for firmer texture..

No comments: